fbpx

Resorts World Las Vegas exec Scott Sibella is fired amid federal probe

Kategori: QuestionsResorts World Las Vegas exec Scott Sibella is fired amid federal probe
Niklas Fowles asked 7 måneder ago

Resorts World Las Vegas President Scott Sibella has been ousted after allegedly violating the luxury casino and hotel’s policies, the company confirmed on Friday.

‘Resorts World Las Vegas today announced that president and COO Scott Sibella has left the company, effective immediately,’ a Resorts World spokesperson told DailyMail.com in a statement. 

‘This action comes after the company was recently made aware that Mr. Sibella violated company policies and the terms of his employment.’ 

Peter LaVoie will take over as president for the renowned hotel and casino on the Las Vegas Strip, which is owned by Malaysia-based conglomerate Genting Berhad.

The shakeup comes six weeks after DailyMail.com reported that federal agents from California had visited Resorts World in connection with their widening probe of an illegal sports betting ring that catered to MLB and NFL players.

Resorts World Las Vegas President Scott Sibella has been ousted after allegedly violating the luxury casino and hotel’s policies, the company confirmed on Friday

In recent weeks, federal agents from California visited Resorts World Las Vegas (above) in connection with their widening probe of the sports betting ring operated by former minor league baseball player Wayne Nix, two people familiar with the matter told DailyMail.com

Separately, https://Ardelyx.Com/Who-We-Are-Old/ Sibella was cleared by state authorities earlier this year over claims that a convicted illegal bookmaker held an ownership position in Tacos El Cabron, a food outlet within Resorts World.

Brandon Sattler made the allegations in sworn deposition as part of a fraud litigation lawsuit, connecting Sibella to convicted bookmaker David Stroj. 

Nevada gaming laws prevent casinos from working with any convicted illegal gambler. The Nevada Gaming Control Board said in February that Sattler’s allegations were unsubstantiated, and cleared Sibella of wrongdoing. 

‘So look at this, nobody wanted to believe me, Oficjalna strona F1 casino and look what happened,’ Sattler told DailyMail.com in a text message. ‘This piece of s**t is out on the streets, and Resorts World needs to issue a public apology to me.’

Sibella did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment from DailyMail.com on Friday afternoon. 

Sibella, 60, was a veteran of the Las Vegas Strip, and previously held high-level positions at the MGM Grand, Mirage, Treasure Island, Tropicana and Golden Nugget.

He also served as an executive at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, and the Tropicana’s Atlantic City outpost.

In 2011, when he was President and COO of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Sibella starred in an episode of Undercover Boss, posing as a blackjack dealer on the casino’s floor.

In 2019, he departed the MGM Grand took a new job at Resorts World.

Last month, DailyMail.com reported that more than a dozen employees of Resorts World and the MGM Grand had been subpoenaed as part of the investigation into the gambling ring run by former minor league baseball player Wayne Nix, according to a person familiar with the matter.

According to court filings, the Nix betting ring operated at the highest levels of professional sports, with former pro athletes acting as bookies, and clients including an MLB coach, active NFL and MLB players, an NBA player’s business manager, and a sports broadcaster.

In 2011, when he was President and COO of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Sibella (center) starred in an episode of Undercover Boss, posing as a blackjack dealer

Resorts World Las Vegas President Scott Sibella has been ousted after allegedly violating the luxury casino and hotel’s policies, the company confirmed on Friday

Sources say the federal probe is examining the possibility that current or former Las Vegas hotel employees acted as agents in the betting network, or paid off their own personal gambling debts to Nix with casino resources.

The people said that the probe was examining the actions of high-level current or former executives at MGM Grand and Resorts World. 

Wayne Nix is seen in a 1999 baseball card as a player for an Oakland A’s farm team

Federal agents are specifically looking at allegations that employees used comps and promo chips to pay off personal gambling debts to Nix, the Nevada Current first reported, and sources confirmed to DailyMail.com. 

They are also looking into the possibility that employees acted as agents in the Nix network, by steering gamblers to the ring and taking a cut of their losses, the people said. 

Nix pleaded guilty in April 2022 to conspiring to run an illegal gambling operation and failing to report $1.4 million in income in 2017 and 2018.

He has agreed to pay back taxes and interest of $1.25 million and forfeit $1.3 million seized from bank accounts and faces up to eight years in prison.

Resorts World told DailyMail.com on Friday that CFO Peter LaVoie will take over as president. 

‘Peter’s extensive experience and expertise make him the right person to lead Resorts World Las Vegas through this transition,’ a spokesperson said.